In the 30th Juz’ of the Quran, Surah’ Alaq means clinging mass or substance, also known as Iqra’ (read). The 96th surah of the Quran is Surah ‘Alaq,’ aka Iqra.’ God revealed it to Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) in Mecca in Hira’s cave. God’s angel Gabriel commands the Prophet to recite the Quran. Surah Alaq is a Makki surah and contains nineteen verses.
Surah Al-Alaq recitation offers so many benefits including safety from mishaps and also increases a person’s memory, getting the thawab of shaheed, and being safe from accidents.
Benefits of Surah Al-Alaq
The benefits of surah Al-Alaq are as follows:
Get the Thawab Of a Shaheed
The person who recites surah Alaq will be among the martyrs on the day of Judgement as mentioned by this hadith.
Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq said that
A person who recites Surah Al-Alaq during the day or at night and then passes away will be counted among the martyrs who fought on behalf of the Holy Prophet (may God bless him and his family). (Tafsir-e-Burhan)
Safety From Any Accident
Recite surah Alaq before any traveling as it provides protection from any accident. As Sayyid Mustafa Musawi writes:
Reciting Surah Al-Alaq while travelling acts as a safety precaution from accidents. Reciting it on a treasure ensures its safety. (Fawaid-e-Qur’an)
Recite Surah for Memory and Intelligence
Recite Surah Alaq for intelligence. As Allama Alam Faqri writes:
(Anyone who recites Surah Al-Alaq daily will gain knowledge, intelligence, and memory (Aamal-e-Qurani p429-431)
Wazif for a Student
Surah Alaq is the perfect wazifa or dua for a student on the day of the examination.
A student should read Surah Al-Alaq 70 times after Fajr for 27 days (before the examination) and on the day of the examination. (Aamal-e-Qurani p429-431)
If a parent wishes for their children to achieve success in exams, he should recite Surah Al-Alaq 100 times every day after Eid and pray to Allah. (Aamal-e-Qurani p429-431)
Reserves’ Safety from Plagues
Surah Alaq provides safety from any stolen. As the Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, said,
“If the surah ‘Alaq is recited to a storehouse or repository, God will prevent it from spoiling or being stolen until the owner takes it out.” Ibid
Being Safe Journeys by Sea
Surah Alaq provides safety during sea journeys. As the Noble Prophet of Islam has said,
“Whoever goes on a journey by sea and recites surah ‘Alaq, he will be safe from drowning.” Tafsīr al-Burhān, vol. 5, p. 695.
Facts about Surah Alaq
During his stay in Mecca in the cave of Hira’, God revealed five verses of the Quran to Prophet Muhammad. This surah speaks about God being the creator of man, a person who controls his affairs and teaches him things he does not know.
By Divine revelation, God instructs the Prophet to recite the Quran and assures him not to worry. Surah’ Alaq threatens severe punishment for anyone who forbids the Prophet from praying.
Surah Al-Alaq Translation
- Recite in the name of your Lord who created
- Created man from a clinging substance.
- Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous,
- Who taught by the pen?
- Taught man that which he knew not.
- No! [But] indeed, man transgresses
- Because he sees himself as self-sufficient.
- Indeed, to your Lord is the return.
- Have you seen the one who forbids?
- A servant when he prays?
- Have you seen if he is upon guidance?
- or encourages righteousness?
- Have you seen if he denies and turns away –
- Does he not know that Allah sees?
- No! If he does not desist, we will surely drag him by the forelock
- A lying, sinning forelock.
- Then let him call his associates;
- We will call the angels of Hell.
- No! Do not obey him. But prostrate and draw near [to Allah].
Surah Alaq Contains
The Surah ‘Alaq mentions the following topics:
- The creation of man from a clinging mass
- God teaches man through the pen
- The ignorance of man before God taught him
- Man’s rebellion against God and belief that he is unnecessary
- Man’s return to God in the afterlife and hereafter
- God punishes the Prophet for preventing him from worshiping God
Read more about Surah Rahman Benefits.